I tell stories.
I research, write, edit, publish.
I design and illustrate.
Whatever your story may be, I can tell it well.
My writing is accurate, clear, creative, and compelling.
I also can help you tell your own story.
I can edit your writing.
I can help you publish your work, whether it's an online blog or a book.
I can help present your work so visually, it's dressed for success.
I embrace new technologies with old-fashioned values and professionalism.
In My Toolbox
• Nearly 40 years experience in journalism and multi-media publishing.
• Awards for investigative journalism and for writing news, feature articles, and creative fiction.
• Exceptional communications skills.
• Power writing, clear and compelling.
• Fusion of words with art and design vision.
• Strong social media skills for connecting, promoting, and branding. Many cross-cultural professional and personal connections from half a lifetime in Inland Southern CA.
• Deadline-oriented, precise, enthusiastic work.
• Inclusive research for balanced reporting.
• Organizational skills, ability to multi-task with a meticulous eye.
• Computer proficiency that includes both Mac and Windows platforms, Adobe Creative Suite (including Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign), Dreamweaver, and more.
Work: Research. Write. Edit.
Illustrate. Design. Publish.
See my Resumé with detailed work experience since 1977.
• Lifelong scholar.
• Bachelor's degree in journalism (University of Maine).
• Continuing education includes a graphic-design program certificate (UC Riverside Extension).
• Extensive training in oral history, a keystone of my interviewing and storytelling.
Independent contractor since 2002.
Since 2003, a major client is Dorothy Ramon Learning Center, a 501(c)3 educational nonprofit that saves and shares Southern California's Native American cultures, languages, history, and traditional arts.
I'm helping this small nonprofit define itself as a leader in preserving and documenting cultures.
I serve as Editor of the publishing arm, Ushkana Press, writing, editing, designing and producing publications. I develop and provide outreach and public information; and coordinate programming, including lectures, exhibits, and classes. I also develop logos and other graphics and designs.
Example of Center Event:
Founded and co-chaired the 2015 and 2016 Native Voices Poetry Festival. Sponsors and grant donors in 2016 included California State University, San Bernardino, and CSUSB Palm Desert; Banning Community Fund; Mt. San Jacinto Community College; College of the Desert; Inlandia Institute; Banning Schools Indian Education Program; Poets & Writers; PoetrIE; Morongo Cultural Resources; and Banning Library District celebrating its 100th Birthday.
When I'm not writing, editing, or telling stories in other ways ...
I live large with my Irish Wolfhounds.
I make art, mostly collages and altered art. I enjoy using unusual materials. I enjoy photography.
I enjoy exploring and learning about the natural world.